Friday, August 9, 2013

Summer Fun

Every year since the girls were six years old, they have made the trek back to Oklahoma for the summer. When we moved to Arkansas the first time, it was quite the adjustment to be away from grandparents. We went from being four minutes from my parents (15 minutes from Bran's parents) to being four hours away from them. The girls were close to all of them and even with all of the trips we'd make in during the school year, there just never was enough time. So the summer after kindergarten a new tradition was born. Bay and Cay packed up their suitcases and headed back to Arnold Acres and Peggs, America for the summer. It has truly become the highlight of their year.

I've had people question me time and time again about how B and I do it... "Do you miss them? How can you stand to be apart from your girls for that long?"... And, really, for us, it's a no brainer. We know our girls and we know the joy it brings them to be back with their grandparents. They adore Grammy and Grandpa and Grandpa and Grandma. Precious memories have been made over the years and relationships have grown and deepened. In addition to the grandparents, our girls have been able to stay connected to our home church in OK -- the same church I grew up in, the church B & I were married in, the church they were dedicated to the Lord in. They've had some of the same Sunday School teachers I had and it thrills my soul to see them stay so connected to a place that helped shape who I am today.

So, yes, B and I miss our girls. Terribly. It's weird to have such a silent house. But you know what? It is also precious time together, just B & I, to work on our marriage. We can go on dates, late night Soinc runs, and fall more in love with each other simply because we can give each other undivided attention. I know as the girls get older this tradition might stop or maybe just be tweaked, but for now, we all look forward to our summers. And it's not like we don't see them at all. They've made trips back to Arkansas for a few days, I've gone to Oklahoma a couple of times, and there are numerous texts, phone calls, and FaceTime to get us through the separation. We know it's not for every family, but it is for ours.

They return home this weekend and I am ready for our fall routine. Junior high is a little over a week away and I'm anxious to see what this school year holds for us. For now, though, here's a glimpse of a little bit of their summer in Oklahoma.

Goofy lunch dates with Grammy


Oh my. This is Bay and Cay to a T. So, so goofy. The knives are a little scary, though. Ha!

Photo shoots with Wally


Sun Goddesses

This pic cracks me up. Cay is laying on the pool floatie, but it's on the deck, not in the pool. And her head is completely covered up and she is wrapped up in a towel. Classic Cay.


Horses and X-rays 
(I mean, what's a summer in Oklahoma without a trip to the ER?!)

Right before Cay fell off the horse at a youth group fellowship.

Waiting for an X-ray. Yes, B & I made another mad dash in to Oklahoma when we got the call. I knew as soon as my mom said "Cari" that we had a problem. Praise the Lord everything was ok!

Warden, Tinkerbell, and Preacher

The girls claim the two horses and donkey that live across the street from my parents as their own. This is Warden and they spoil him with carrots, oats, apples...

Mt. Nebo
My parents and the girls came to Arkansas for the fourth of July. They were headed back to Oklahoma and made a pit stop at Mt. Nebo.



Lunches with Grandma Faye
My grandma lives on her own, but mom checks on her a few times a week. This was part of their summer routine. They'd go to her apartment, take her to the grocery store, and then to lunch. Precious memories.




Yard sale
Mom and the girls have a summer yard sale. Last year the girls made enough money to take mom and dad out for their anniversary. This year they purchased stuff for our dogs Molly and Annie. And it was a multi-site sale. A couple days was at mom and dad's and then one day they moved it to town at my aunt's.
Sale at Aunt Suzy's

Befriending animals


Both girls have a heart for animals, but Bay zones in on a select few and takes them under their wing. She took this pic and sent it to me when she touched Daisy for the first time. She was on the phone with me when it happened... "I'm touching her! I'm touching her!", she said in a soft whisper. I told her to hang up and snap a pic. 

Boating with Grandpa and Grandma
B's parents rented a boat one Saturday and the girls had a blast!


Lunch with Aunt Bear after the boat ride. 

That's pretty much their summer in a nutshell. Nothing over the top or fancy. Just precious memories made with loved ones. Right now they are finishing the last of summer vacation in Kentucky on a quick mini-vacation with my parents. I can't wait to hear all the details on that trip!! I pray these girls always know how loved they are and how blessed they are to have grandparents who love and adore them. 

1 comment:

  1. I love the stories. What a precious treasure they have in their grandparents. I so wish Katie would have had the chance at memories like this! I hope your girls always know how blessed they are and never "outgrow" their summers!

    ReplyDelete