Thursday, January 3, 2013

Looking back, moving forward

Our Christmas cards this year turned into a Christmas package. It was kind of ridiculous. Bran and I found some pretty cards after Thanksgiving and I thought I'd simply sign them and send them on their way. But then I started thinking about our past year. It needed to be documented. So I decided to write a letter. The wordy person that I can be tried to relive our year month by month. And then I realized going that way would result in a Christmas novel instead of a letter, so I scratched the idea. I still wanted to personalize our card so I ordered a family picture to stuff inside. Done. Not what I wanted, but it would work. But then as I laid my head down late one night I couldn't sleep and it hit me. I had asked each family member their top 10 moments of 2012 (up until December) and somehow managed to piece together a short and sweet letter incorporating our top 10's. I had some fun Christmas paper I bought years ago so I printed a few and waited until the next morning to show Brandon. And then I remembered the pictures I ordered. And all I could do was laugh. Our simple card turned into this crazy package. It was probably Beaver overload, but it had been a few years since we had sent anything out. I guess I was overcompensating. ;)

With the new year here and Brandon and the girls back at work and school, I can't help but think about our past year and those top 10 moments. 2012 was packed full of memories and will forever go down as one of my most memorable years. We had so many new adventures in South Carolina to discover, as well as moving to Arkansas (again!). Brandon and I both turned 30. The girls experienced their first true friendship. Life was one wild, unexpected ride in 2012. I am so very grateful for every moment -- yes, even the hard, I have no clue why things are happening this way moments.

Without further ado, here are our Top 10 Moments of 2012...

Baylee

1. Hannah
2. Finding Bigfoot
3. Shark fishing
4. Mrs. Billy's animals
5. Date night with Daddy
6. Beach trips
7. Tex
8. Meeting Mrs. Dykema
9. Pirate's Voyage
10. Petting Niko

Caylee

1. Hannah
2. Mrs. Billy's animals
3. Getting Beau
4. Finding Bigfoot
5. Shark fishing
6. Mrs. Dykema
7. Summer at Grammy & Grandpa's
8. South Carolina Aquarium
9. Going horseback riding on Rosco
10. Petting Niko

Brandon

1. Beach trips
2. Ghost tour
3. Charleston fine dining
4. Shark fishing
5. Thriller 
6. New house
7. PGA Championship
8. France trip
9. Cathedral of Praise
10. Summer date nights

Cari

1. The beach 
2. 30th birthday weekend
3. Cabot graduation weekend
4. Shark fishing
5. Charleston fine dining
6. Getting healthier/losing weight
7. New house
8. Summer date nights
9. Falls Creek
10. Friendship between Baylee, Caylee, and Hannah

I have to be honest. Looking back at these lists, as well as all the other wonderful memories that didn't make the top 10, I can get overwhelmed & find myself sinking into the pits. I still struggle with the "why did we move to SC only to move right back". But over and over I hear the words of a very wise woman (that's you, Terri Kern!).

"Looking back has value; but I'm convinced pressing on has more."

So as this new year begins I will press on. In the words of our church in Charleston, it's my prayer to "have clarity that allows me to hear God's voice above all else; maintain focus on goals set before me; not get overwhelmed about what lies ahead, but instead rest in God's peace; and walk in God's will with absolute purpose".

Brandon and I have set a few goals for this year. While we were talking about our "resolutions" Bran kept reminding me that goals had to be "measurable and attainable", so I did my best to stick within those guidelines. I won't speak for him, but for 2013, here are my goals.

1. Be more content. As B reminded me, "Don't let your mood be based on circumstance."
2. Continue to focus on my health and lose 80 pounds.
3. Run at least three miles of the Arthur Ravenel Jr bridge in Charleston in July.
4. No phone policy from 6-8pm Monday-Thursday.
5. More one on one time with the girls.

Bring it on, 2013. Let's see what you have in store for us this year. We're ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment