Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Hairmageddon

You can ask anyone that knows me really well, I mean, knows me, and these select few will tell you that I hate getting my hair cut. I hate the entire process. I know for some women it is fun and exciting and all that jazz. (Chicago, anyone?!) But for me? It's almost torture and I almost have a panic attack leading up to the appointment.

For one, I hate sitting there staring at myself in the massive mirror. I can't figure out where to look. Do I watch what the hairdresser is doing snip by snip? Do I make eye contact with him/her via the mirror? Do I painstakingly pick myself apart piece by piece thanks to the mirror right in front of me? I don't know what to do. Oh! And gum. Can I chew it? I've always heard no. And I know I can't cross my legs or my cut will be lopsided See. So many rules and I just get lost in them. Panic.

Secondly, I never know what I want done. Just a trim? Full blown haircut? Bangs? No bangs? I've been known to take in a sheet of paper with tens of pictures on it. Now I could make a board on pinterst with various cuts I've "pinned" and whip out my handy dandy iPhone. I have no clue what would look best on my face so I leave it up to the stylist. Sometimes it's a hit and sometimes it's not.

The latter was the case this past weekend. Only, it was worse. The cut wasn't on my head. But on my sweet baby girls.

Let's backtrack, shall we...

When I went to Arkansas a couple of weeks ago Brandon was in charge. No biggie. He's their dad and can handle anything. Except maybe hair. ;) I still take care of the girls' hair. They haven't matured enough to care about it, so I make sure it's well groomed. And it had gotten so long it was hard for them to manage/fix properly. Well.....between the three of them they couldn't get a massive rat out of Bay's hair. Not sure why it had gotten so big, but it had nonetheless. And so what does any good dad do? He cuts the rat out of course! It was in a very non conspicuous place (in fact, she had so much hair I could never find where the cut had taken place), but still, a cut was needed. And that was enough for Brandon.

So last Saturday off we went! Bran called and got the girls an appointment and told them it was hair cutting day! As we drove to this new to us salon we assured the girls they wouldn't be getting short hair cuts. (Mistake number 1.) We told them they would have a good deal of their hair cut off, but only because summer is upon us and too much hair is just too hot! When we walked in the ladies were ready for us and the girls immediately took their seats, side by side.



(Just look how LONG their hair was!!!!)

Brandon and I talked with each lady and here were our instructions, "Cut it just above the shoulders, leaving enough hair to still pull up". You know how I said I normally have a ton of pictures? Well, since B surprised us I wasn't prepared and didn't have any pictures to show the ladies. (Mistake number 2.)

I sat down and sent my mom a text informing her of our exciting Saturday morning outing. And then Brandon said "You wanna get your hair cut? We can see if they can squeeze you in". Umm....sure! So I hopped into the seat next to Caylee and joined in the fun. (Mistake number 3.)


(See how hard I'm laughing? That's called my nervous laugh.)

Ok. So the scene has been set. The three Beaver girls are getting their hair cut. I wanted a simple trim and some bangs. Thankfully my lady was awesome and did just as I asked. (Note to self... IF we go back to this place only use her.) I could see Baylee in the mirror and saw her hair was shorter than planned, but it was a cute bob, no big deal. I figured she'd flip out, but we could handle. I couldn't, however, see Caylee until my lady turned my chair when it was time to blow-dry. And I almost jumped out of my seat and began gluing all of her precious hair back onto her head. Y'all. The lady CHOPPED ALL OF HER HAIR OFF!!!!!!!!!! I was speechless. I told my lady "Hear that silence? It's the calm before the storm. There will be a breakdown in the van when we leave". 

And I was right. There were tears. Lots and lots of tears. I don't know what the lady was thinking, but she went all scissor happy at Caylee's expense. I felt AWFUL! I had assured her she wouldn't leave with short hair and there was nothing I could do but apologize. We had plans on going to the aquarium for the day, but Bran needed to stop by Best Buy first. It was in there when the meltdown came to surface. Standing by iPhone cases Caylee started bawling and then so did I. She hated her hair. I told her how very sorry I was the lady didn't listen and it was not our plan to go into that beauty shop and leave with hair that short. I assured her how beautiful she is no matter how much or little hair she has. 

And then it hit me. There was a Claire's and Target close by. So off we went to purchase cute hair accessories and a popcorn combo. That had to help, right? Retail therapy and emotional eating? Oops. Maybe not the best example to set, but it helped and we got a smile out of her!


Now, I know some people would think "It's just hair. It'll grow back". I know that. And is the haircut cute? Absolutely! Does Caylee look adorable? Always! Does a haircut define us? Never! But 
still. She's 11 and what might seem like a little thing to adults is a big deal to little girls. 


(Before church on Sunday morning. The day after Hairmageddon of 2012.)

Thankfully Baylee absolutely LOVES her cut. She didn't at first because the lady styled it like a five year old's hair cut. But when she got home she rewet it and we fixed it to her liking. I don't know how many times I've seen her looking in the mirror or saying "I really like my hair". Whew! At least it wasn't a complete flop!


So for now we wait. We count our blessings that we have hair on our head. We learn new ways to style the "perfect for summer" cuts. And we shampoo with Mane and Tail horse shampoo because it's supposed to make your hair grow faster. ;)


2 comments:

  1. Bless their hearts, and Cari,
    your hair cut looks amazing on you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are GORGEOUS in that pic with your girls and their hair is so cute!!!

    ReplyDelete