Thursday, May 17, 2012

Sweet Weekend

One week ago I was preparing for my big trip back to Cabot. It had just been a couple of weeks earlier when I was brushing my teeth before church one Sunday morning. I'm brushing away and Baylee comes into my room with my phone and I could see she had accepted a call for me. I could see it was from Melissa (a dear sweet girl from my Sunday School class I taught), but after I spit and rinsed I realized I was on speaker phone and there was a whole slew of girls on the other line. I remember Megan O. saying "Mrs. Cari, you know that we love you and we want you to come to our graduation....so we bought you a plane ticket". What?! Seriously?! Umm...OK! These darlings had been working with Brandon for months to figure out my trip. How special is that?! It makes me tear up just thinking about it.

And so last Thursday was the day. Arrangements had been made and I would fly into Little Rock and stay with Melissa's family for the weekend. I knew Thursday night some girls were coming over, Friday was graduation, and Saturday night some dear friends planned on having a cookout for me. Other than that I was just going to go with the flow.

Bear with me and I'll try to relive my sweet Arkansas weekend....

Thursday

I started the weekend by first having to say goodbye to my girls. They were a little apprehensive. Sure, they leave me almost every summer for their grandparent's houses. But I have very rarely left them at home. In fact, I can only think of a handful of times. This picture was taken in Vanna White right before they jumped out of the car rider line for school. They are so focused on school and it took away from the fact that I was leaving. Whew! No meltdowns! Well, except from me as I drove off. I kind of lost it. I was overwhelmed with the whole weekend and that first step kind of did me in for a moment.


Brandon picked me up and we headed to the airport. I was nervous about flying (particularly those pesky seat belts!) because it had been 12 years since I'd flown. I guess having babies kind of derailed my travels. ;) Turns out I had nothing to worry about and flying is just as peaceful as I remembered. Even if the majority of the flights were spent in an itty-bitty regional jet. Eek! I think I could've reached from one side of the jet to the other with my arm. Seriously. Tiny. But, oh, was it worth it. I was greeted by these lovely faces when I got off the plane in LR.


Madison, Kelcie, and Melissa were there to catch me when I fell into their arms crying. And then they laughed at me when I told them I started crying when I saw the AR capital from the air. Ha! Tears and laughter.... the common theme of the weekend. ;) Yes, that's a mouse. LONG, embarrassing story. No. I'm not gonna share. ;)

Melissa's dad was waiting for us outside and was our chauffeur. We went straight to Cabot, switched vehicles, and picked up Melissa's mom and brother. I had no idea, but the girls had planned on taking me to our church. We drove through Cabot (more tears) and walked into MCBC (could've had a breakdown if they let me, but they kept laughing at me so that helped). I didn't know but it was the Women's Ministry Spring banquet. I served on the women's ministry team before moving and they thought I'd like to see some of the women. Boy, were they right! I was a blubbering idiot as I walked from table to table hugging the necks of so many familiar faces. (I was too busy visiting and crying to snap pics.)

We went and had dinner at my favorite local Mexican restaurant (no mariachi band. Boo!) and then back to Melissa's for the night. I'm not sure why I didn't take any pics of that night. I think I was still overwhelmed and just soaking in all of their sweet faces. Rachel did manage to snatch my phone and I have several pics like this....



We spent the evening/night/early morning catching up. Several girls went on a mission trip to Africa over spring break and retold some of their favorite moments. We talked boys. We talked girl drama. We laughed. I cried. We laughed some more. We watched "The Vow" and crashed in the bonus room about 2:30 a.m.. 

Friday


The alarms started going off EARLY! The girls had graduation practice and had to be at the school by 8. They all threw themselves together and out the door they went. Kenny (Melissa's dad) and I went and "lined 89" as the seniors took their final bus ride. I love (and miss!) the small town feel.


While the girls were at practice I helped Jennifer prepare The Rock for Melissa's graduation dinner and then I met up with a dear friend. Misty and I met just a few months before I moved. She was a move in to Cabot, but originally an Okie! Woohoo! We had an instant connection and an overnight friendship. Her and her husband just moved back to Oklahoma and she was in town on Friday to do some last minute details in Arkansas. Perfect timing for lunch! And more laughter. And more tears!! ;)



And then it was graduation time! I had never been to a Cabot graduation. The previous year I babysat for a family so they could enjoy the graduation without the little ones. Now I know why! That graduation was LONG. But I loved every single minute of it. It was such a joy to be there. Not only did I see my girls graduate, but I ran into so many dear friends from Cabot. I'm not even going to try and list them all, because I'll leave someone out. But every hug I got warmed my heart. God truly blessed our time in central Arkansas.







Saturday

After another late night I woke up to some delicious pancakes. It was a low-key morning, but it was also the day I got to see my parents! I hadn't seen them since Christmas!! 


Before seeing my parents, though, I had to teach Melissa a life lesson -- learning how to fill out a deposit slip and use the drive-thru. Lol! So funny!! We were very proud!


I think that man thought we were crazy until Melissa said "I've never done this before!". Ha!



And then it was time to see mom and dad!!!!! I met up with them at Hobby Lobby in Conway, hoping I'd have time to shop. But when you haven't been to HobLob in MONTHS, well, you just don't rush that. We decided I'd hit it up this summer when I had more time. And a van to haul my goods home it. ;)


It was SO GOOD to see my parents. I love them. And I hate the distance. Thankfully we had time together to run around and catch up face to face. There wasn't much running around because there was a cookout to get to! :)



Oh, Fred and Cyndi. LOVE this family. We decided they were my Cabot parents. Ha! They went above and beyond to make me feel welcome and the food. Oh, the food. There was a ton and it was all so delicious. Just as sweet as that apple cobbler or german chocolate brownies? The time with friends!





Sarah!!! One of my "firstborns". :)


The Cason's!!!! :)


Coleman girls!!! :)


Denson girls!!! :)


Mom doing what she does best... cleaning. Ha!


Mom and Cyndi rocked the sexy sleeves. ;)


I loved everything about that cookout. Just chilling and enjoying the company of dear friends. And my parents were there and got to mingle with some of me peeps! ;)

Sunday


Because of my flight schedule, I only had time to go to Sunday School. I made my rounds, again, and hugged as many necks as I could, but only snapped a couple of pics. This is not the most flattering picture of me, but I love this woman. Melissa S. is a gift from God in my life.



We usually ran 15 girls in SS, but this was all that was there on Sunday. And even being in town all weekend I still didn't see everyone. It was a busy, busy weekend! 


I cried as I left MCBC. (Me? Cry? Imagine that. ;)) I turned the radio off and praised God not only for the weekend, but for Cabot. I had no desire to move to Arkansas. But now when I think about it, I can't imagine my life without those five years. As always, He knew better! ;)

Can I just mention how awesome it was to spend a portion of Mother's Day with my mom?! That wouldn't have happened if it weren't for my sweet girls flying me in. Yet another blessing! After a delicious lunch at Outback it was time to head to the airport and say our goodbyes.


Family picture before I went through security. (Man! I'm already looking rough and the day was still young!) Usually our goodbyes would be painful, but summer is around the corner and I'll see mom and dad SOON!! WooHoo!!!!


After a quick flight to Dallas, a four hour layover, and then a nighttime flight to Charleston, I was home. Home with my boy and sweet girls. My flight didn't land until 10:35. That's two hours past the girls bedtime. But bedtime rules go out the window for times like these!


We got home and had a few minutes to celebrate my Mother's Day with some gifts. They sure know how to make a Momma feel loved!


Y'all, this was quite possibly one of the sweetest weekends I've ever experienced. I got to reflect on the past, be grateful for the memories, and know that true friendships can withstand time and distance. I will treasure these memories forever.

2 comments:

  1. What a fun, packed weekend! You looked so pretty in your black and white wrap dress. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A testimony to the future.......you never dreamed you would feel this way about Cabot; just imagine who and what awaits you there in South Carolina!

    ReplyDelete