Friday, March 22, 2013

The Big D

Brandon surprised the girls and I with a quick getaway last week. It was the kickoff to our spring break and Dallas was the perfect choice. We ate lots of yummy food, toured a couple museums, and experienced some true Texas charm. It was delightful and I'm ready for our next surprise mini vacation!

Friday

About to pull out of our driveway and head to the Big D. Side note: Girls had never been to Texas, so this was a first for them.

We had some good friends traveling just a few miles in front of us. We decided to meet up for lunch. Smashburger, a first for the four Beaver's. Delish! 

Friday night was Medieval Times. This is something Brandon has always wanted to do. We tried to get a good family pic outside of the castle. This is about the best we got. And the girls were beyond done posing with us. :/ (Oh my eyes! I had a head cold and, well, my eyes say it all.)

I have a slight obsession with birds, particularly hawks. This falcon pretty much made my night. I wanted to hold him. :)

Girls were in horse heaven! 

We managed to get front row seats. Fun, fun! I love these silly dinner/shows!

Saturday

Our first activity of the day was the Ft. Worth Stockyards, but we had to stop for breakfast first. Little did we know we stumbled upon some of the most delicious food we had ever eaten!


When you walk in and this is the first thing you see, you know you've pick the right place. 

It's a good day when there's chips and salsa and orange juice at breakfast! The refried beans at this place pretty much rocked our worlds.

I mean, it's only natural to sit on a longhorn while in Texas, right? :)

Baylee

Caylee

Cattle drive

B and I knew just going to the stockyards alone meant we were cool parents to our animal loving children. But we were out for parents of the year this weekend. And in our girls' eyes, that means ride horses!

This picture makes me laugh. B on a horse just doesn't happen very often. And his horse, Worm, was little. But he was a natural and the leader of the pack. Must've been his boots he had on. ;)

Once I got over my "oh my gosh, am I too heavy to ride a horse" fear, I was put on Howie. Oh, Howie. All he wanted to do was eat every single bush we passed. And I'd let him. And then I'd get yelled at for letting him eat. Howie also like to stop walking. He would decide to just stand still in the middle of the trail. And when we was walking, it was sideways. Or backwards, down a hill, leading me to a river. He almost killed me. We went round and round!

Unfortuantely, this is the best picture we have of Caylee and Tinkerbell. Those two were awesome together. They were trotting, literally, down the trail. Cay had a great time and stayed at the front with B.

Baylee and Earl had a time like Howie and I did. Earl wasn't the most cooperative horse either. We had a good laugh all weekend because Bay wanted to tell us how to ride, but her horse didn't like to listen to her. 

This was my view the entire time. In the back, trying to encourage Howie to move. 

After the horses I told B I was done with the stockyards and to get me back to the city! Ha! So we went for a tour of the Sixth Floor Museum and learned the history of the assassination of JFK. We only had two hours, but could've spent all day in there. 



We didn't realize the impact this tour would have on Caylee. It kind of freaked her out to be where the shooter was and then to stand where Kennedy was shot. She kept saying "I keep seeing him laid over in her lap."

Standing on the X that marks where JFK was hit. 


What is a trip to Texas without some BBQ?! Those burnt ends were out of this world. Oh my. 

We wore them out on Saturday. And it doesn't matter how old they get, I still love to see my babies sleep. Well, I can see Bay. Cay sleeps with her head wrapped up.

Sunday

Because of travel time back home, we had just a few hours left in Dallas. Breakfast at Esperanza's again and then the Dallas Holocaust Museum was the prefect end to our weekend.

B's breakfast. I'm not sure what it is, but he loved it. There's those beans. Yum!


Little getaways are so fun. I wish we could do it every weekend. Thanks for the fun surprise, B! 



2 comments:

  1. This looks like so much fun!! Thank you for posting it! My kids would love those stock yards and horse rides.

    ReplyDelete