Monday, August 13, 2012

Hanging with Tiger and Rory

This past weekend the PGA Championships were held on Kiawah Island. Kiawah, located a short drive outside of Charleston, is one of our most favorite places. The beach is so quiet compared to other beaches in the area. But we are only allowed to a certain point on the island until we reach a gate and have to turn around for not having the proper credentials. Bummer. :/ Until this past weekend, that is. Bran's company has been preparing for this weekend for a long time. They had access to the 17th hole tent and let me tell you, that's the only way to go to a golf tournament. Unlimited food, drinks, comfortable seats, shade, celebrity stalking, and people watching? Yes, please! B went on Thursday and had a blast! When he had the chance to snag me an extra ticket for Friday's round, I quickly secured a place for the girls to land for the day and off I went to the PGA. (But I'll be honest, a part of me was just as happy to get past those gates than go to the actual tournament! Ha!) 

Mr. Golfer Man in his cute golf clothes.

Cameras weren't allowed, and they had "mobile device" monitors constantly lurking, but that didn't stop us from sneaking some pics! :) The quality isn't the greatest (especially when a pic has been cropped), but, hey, it's proof we were there! All day Thursday Bran kept sending me updates and pics. These are some of my favorites.

Look to the right of the picture. See the guy in the green shirt on the path? That's Tiger Woods. And see the ocean in the background? Yeah, that was our view from our tent. 

Brandon's favorite from day one was Rory McIlroy. He snagged this pic during the first round.

Tiger Woods

This was, by far, my favorite pic B sent me on Thursday. It still makes me laugh. 

Friday was my day to go. I had no idea what to wear, don't have very many clothing options anyway, and quickly realized I didn't match the golfing crowd, but whatever. I'll never see those people again. Maybe I gave someone a nice chuckle. ;)

It was just a tad windy. And I forgot to bring something to pull my hair up. Oops. 

By the time we got to the course on Friday afternoon, the golfers I wanted to see were already completed for the day. That meant no Phil Mickelson, Ernie Els, or Davis Love III. But there was John Daly! And, goodness, what a sight to behold in person. I know he's a rebel, but he's a cute rebel. Lol! He makes it fun to watch! Just look at his pants!!! B took this from our seats in the tent. Again, look at the view!

We ventured out of the tent and to the hole behind us. We knew Tiger would be there soon, and while I am not a Tiger fan, my Grandma Faye is and I knew I had to snap a pic for her. Guys. I was NERVOUS! I had my giddy laugh going on and I know I looked crazy suspicious. But who snagged the pic? THIS GIRL! 

I had my phone positioned behind my badge hanging from my lanyard and just hoped I was getting something, anything, as I "snapped" away. And, in the words of my former pastor Larry White, "looky here". I got it! Wait. Is it wrong that I'm quoting my pastor while I brag about breaking the rules and being sneaky? Hmmm. ;)

But it gets better!! Look. At. This. One!!!! Tiger. His name on the board. Oh, and that guy in the green shirt who is TOTALLY STARING RIGHT AT ME!!!!!! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!! BUSTED! But, hey, he didn't have the "mobile device policy enforcement" vest on so I'm safe. ;)

This is B watching his favorite, Rory, tee off of the 17th. 

Tiger was a couple of groups behind Rory and we knew that's where the majority of the crowd was. You should have seen the people flock him. Crazy! After Rory finished the 17th hole we started making our way out. But I had the adrenaline rush still flowing from snapping the pics, that I had to snap yet another one. Guys, I have to confess. I'm GOOD. In a bad way, I'm good. Take another look...

Rory on the 18th. Now come on. That's so cool, huh? Now remember. This was on Friday and I was just snapping pics for Bran. I had no idea I'd be snapping pics of THE CHAMPION! Hahaha! I'm awesome. 

To say we had a great time would be an understatement. It was a fabulous, probably once in a lifetime opportunity. We enjoyed some delicious buffalo chicken sandwiches, cole slaw, out of this world lemon cake, an ice cold can of Pepsi, and, of course, time together doing something out of the ordinary. I'm glad I was a sneaky snake and snapped some pictures of our memorable day. ;)






No comments:

Post a Comment